The Medical College of Virginia School of Pharmacy, established in 1898, became the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Pharmacy in 1968 with the merger of MCV and the Richmond Professional Institute.
The School of Pharmacy on VCU's MCV Campus has grown over the years to include classrooms, labs and offices in the R. Blackwell Smith Jr. Building, McGuire Hall and Biotech One. To accommodate further expansion and to afford students more opportunities outside the Richmond area, two satellite campuses were created: the Inova Fairfax Campus, which opened in 2007, and the U.Va. Division, which began in 2012.
Each satellite campus accepts a number of third- and fourth-year students who have spent their first two years of pharmacy school on the MCV Campus. Inova students benefit from exposure to the Inova Fairfax Hospital and Northern Virginia as do U.Va. students from the University of Virginia Medical Center and the Charlottesville area.